Pediatric Dentistry FAQS
Visiting a pediatric dentist near you is important in maintaining your child’s oral health. Children’s dental health needs as much attention as adults, if not more. Remember, children are prone to cavities, and not addressing or preventing these problems can cause their dental health to deteriorate. That is why it is essential to have a pediatric dentist.
- Why Visit a Pediatric Dentist Instead of a General One?
While a general or a family dentist can handle all your family’s dental needs, you need a pediatric one if you have small children.
After the basic dental education, the pediatric dentist goes through a two-year specialized training to learn everything to do with children’s dentistry. They are trained in diagnosing, preventing, and treating dental conditions from infancy to teen years. This means your child does not need to change dentists until he/she is a young adult.
They are also trained on the child’s developmental factors and behavioral aspects, meaning they are capable of handling the different personalities.
It is, therefore, convenient to see a kid’s dentist instead of a family one.
- What to Expect During the First Visit?
We recommend visiting our pediatric dentist in Oxnard, CA, when the first tooth comes out or right before their first birthday. This is the right time for the dentist to assess jaw development and detect any problems before they arise.
This first dental visit is short, lasting about 30 minutes. The dentist will examine the mouth and clean the gums with a soft cloth to get rid of the buildup.
This visit is important as the dentist and the child gets to establish a rapport. To visit an easy one, here are some tips:
- Make the appointment in the morning
- Ensure the child is dry, well-rested, and fed.
- Keep yourself calm because it is easy for the child to sense your nervousness.
- What Services Do We Offer?
We focus on preventive dental services more than curative. It is easy to prevent dental problems than treating them. Our services include:
- Dental examination and cleaning. We recommend visiting our pediatric dentist every six months for a comprehensive dental examination and cleaning.
- Fluoride treatment. Fluoride helps to maintain the integrity of the teeth. Fluoride or ‘natural cavity fighter’ strengthens the enamel and also reverses mild dental cavities. Fluoride treatment is recommended for children who are six years and above. But, our dentist will advise you on the proper way of preventing cavities if your children are below that age.
- Dental sealants. These are coatings applied to the teeth to protect them from cavities. Sealants are durable and can last for a decade with proper care.
- Emergency pediatric treatment. We understand that your child’s teeth can get knocked out during play. That is why we have an emergency pediatric dentist who can help treat and prevent any complications.
- How Often Should You Visit Our Pediatric Clinic?
We recommend you bring your child for an assessment every six months. However, keep in mind the dentist may suggest frequent dental visits if your child has a dental problem that needs monitoring.
- What Part Can You Play in Maintaining Your Child’s Dental Health?
While visiting the dentist is important, how you handle your child’s oral health at home plays a more crucial role.
- Protect the baby’s teeth by cleaning them daily. Primary teeth are crucial as they are placeholders for the second ones. They guide the teeth on how they come out. Any premature loss of the primary teeth will affect the teeth and jaw development. You may also talk to our dentist on the use of pediatric dental crowns. They work similarly to the sealants, only that they are fixed on primary teeth.
- Use a soft, wet cloth to clean the gums. Once the first tooth comes out, get a soft-bristled and kid-friendly toothbrush. Do not use fluoride toothpaste until the child is two years. Also, monitor them when they are brushing to ensure they are using the right technique.
- Limit the consumption of candy because it increases the risk of cavities.
Schedule an Appointment
Visit the Dentist by Seabridge for more information on our pediatric dental services.